http://flyhooks.org/tiemco/tmc100sp-bl

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Looks good Eide. There must be more than one.

I hope you're well.
Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Looks good Eide. There must be more than one.

I hope you're well.
Dale

There is always more than one ;)

All well here, besides the snow, and the cold!

#4 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Solid looking classic style dry Eide...well done!..It looks very Sexy in pink on that iron!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Edie! It seems many of our friend in northern climates are having a long snowy winter.
Good for water though! It has been dry and warm here - almost hot at times - until the other
day when we got 4 inches of rain.
In Colorado that would have been four feet of snow. Here it is gone; the rivers are muddy, but will clear again.

#6 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

ladies.jpg

Always some more :)

Snow, rain, ice, then some sun, back to snow and cold again...

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

The weather might be lousy but you do have 5 pink ladies to keep you company. Good tying Eide.

Stay warm and keep tying dry flies.
Dale

#8 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

Dear EIDE,

I don't come here 'in' very often...but I saw that aswell MATT and STEPHEN and my 'dearest enemy to my heart launched a DRY DRY DRY fly...sooooooooo said myself why not and gift some admiration !!!

psttttttttttttt I love this ROSE PINK fly (psttttttttt DD doesn't - he hates PINK in any fly (thus also in his beloved dry flies...silly man that he is hahahahaa)

again this is a very beautyful eying 'dry fly'

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#9 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

euh 'set' of PINK dry flies !!!!!!!!!!!! (not one but a 'handfull')

pstttttttttt please don't attend that I come here time and time again to repost...(I realy hope YOU understand this ...also the others who would read with of what I have to say on 'dry' flies

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#10 overmywaders

overmywaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Excellent ties!
I have had success occasionally with the Pink Lady. The original pattern used (of course) silk floss for the body. The silk floss turns red when wet, so it might be a Red Lady, although that sounds vaguely improper. If you use Nylon floss, it will not darken to red when wet; hence producing a different effect. I don't know which will be more effective, if either.

#11 overmywaders

overmywaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

A long time ago I tied some pink flies to test the difference when wet. I tied one with a Rayon floss body, another with silk floss. Here are the results:
RayonandSilk800px.jpg

The flies are not a particular pattern, just something that would have all the usual components. Notice that the silk darkened and swelled; the Rayon exhibits no color change and no visible swelling.

#12 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Love this thread.

I had the honor of framing a selection of flies and notes by LaBranch.  The owner (private but an EXTREMELY knowledgeable flyfisherman/tyer/historian) stated that LaBranch did not tie professionally so a true original by him is rare.  This fly is his, according to the owner.

Attached File  IMG_1222.JPG   74.64K   27 downloads

enjoy

#13 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

Hey, Teddy!

Great!! Thanks.

Looks like the wings are doubled? What are tail fibers and rib? Color of body is as worthy a pink as I've seen on a fly. Haha. Don't tell Heert.

#14 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

This conversation has me wondering about some of the older colors versus the newer ones. I am now wondering about the color variations between silk floss versus nylon or rayon. I like these conversations. Apparently Clovis Arsenault used a rusty colored floss under the yellow on his rusty rat to produce the color when it became wet. I have seen an original of his and it looks nothing like what is tied today. Might whip one up from memory if I get a chance

#15 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

That sounds great Stephen! Maybe we've made some of it easier due to hurry and waste. The double floss for color is very cool.

Get on it. Hope you and the girls are well.
Dale

#16 ted patlen

ted patlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:06 AM

Dale,  yeah the wings are doubled and tyed in front of the hackle...I don't know how he tied them in but it looks like the head has a lot under it on top of the shank.

the tails are fantastic aren't they.  They are just a ginger hackle fibers...i would love to find tailing fiber that long!!!

Stephen...Clovis Arsenault was Warren Duncan"s mentor.  I know that Dunc was very aware of the under color, especially on his tags.  He used to white thread or silver tinsel under the stretchy floss he used on his tags...in the water the nean colors glowed like Times Square at midnight.   I guess he learned this from Clovis...

#17 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Ted. The tinsel works the best. Glows like there is no tomorrow. Warren spent a lot of time with Ralph Billingsley also so he could have pick that up from either of them. Funny, Bob Warren always said it look like Clovis put his head cement on with a popsickle stick. Some of his flies were huge. Big water big fly big fish I guess. Vin Swazey from Boistown has probably a hundred of Clovis flies in a box. I remember a story Warren always told about the time he was on Crown Reserve and they had a niusance bear hanging around. He bought someone a spring bear license and when they shot it Warren skinned it and took the hide home with him. I have been told that is a true story. All in All he was a caracter. His desk and vise are at the woodsman museum in Boisetown, just they way it was when he took his heart attack, fly half done in the vise. 

Stephen

#18 ted patlen

ted patlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:01 AM

Thanks Ted. The tinsel works the best. Glows like there is no tomorrow. Warren spent a lot of time with Ralph Billingsley also so he could have pick that up from either of them. Funny, Bob Warren always said it look like Clovis put his head cement on with a popsickle stick. Some of his flies were huge. Big water big fly big fish I guess. Vin Swazey from Boistown has probably a hundred of Clovis flies in a box. I remember a story Warren always told about the time he was on Crown Reserve and they had a niusance bear hanging around. He bought someone a spring bear license and when they shot it Warren skinned it and took the hide home with him. I have been told that is a true story. All in All he was a caracter. His desk and vise are at the woodsman museum in Boisetown, just they way it was when he took his heart attack, fly half done in the vise. 

oh yeah!!!!   blush.png

Stephen