6 replies to this topic

#1 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:44 AM

Go easy on me...I've tied about 4 dry flies in my life prior to these. I recently picked up a furnace saddle (for flat wing streamers) and figured what the heck.

0C9F061E-95E2-40D9-B038-BD2388C0C081.jpg

-Matt

#2 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Dear MATT,

don't attend I come 'IN' often here on this 'wonderful' SIDE site of our forum...BUT JUST LIKE my 'enemy of the heart' DALE ...and a whole lot of others...I LOVE 'DRY FLIES' (even DD will never ever believe me hahahaha)

psttttttttttttt ah YOU can tie 'ANYTHING'...from beetles to ANTS to bees to nymphs, flymphs, dry flies, classic wet flies, classic streamers, saltwaterflies and classic salmon flies...

WONDERFUL "COACHMAN'sssssss" (I realy would have to search and DIG 'far' myself to find a piece of CALF tail hahahahahahaha...YOU seemingly NOT hahahahahaha)

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Pretty enough dries. They'd fool trout. Size?

Keep your eyes peeled for a natural coachman brown cape or saddle. Furnace looks good on these, but the black center of furnace and badger is not common for dries. Like tinsel bodies on Bergman wets.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Dale and Geert...these are rather large at size 8, but i'm going to probably fish them on some lakes/ponds around here for whatever might bite them.  I'm working my way down to some smaller stuff, but I got that furnace saddle mostly for the flatwings, but also to tie some large dries to mimic some reddish/orange dragonflies that the bass around here can't lay off of once the heat of summer kicks in.  Probably tie it much like an ausable bomber.  The dragon flies have an almost brownish/black core to them, hence the furnace hackle.  

I have a coachman cape, but its a little on the webby side, that i've really only used the largest feathers for on streamers. I'll pick through it and see if there is anything of use.

-Matt

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

Seems like a good idea to cast a few dries. Those are large. Beware too light tippet that will twist when the fly helicopters on casts.

One of my favorite carp flies was a small Royal coschmsn trude. They'd sip it in. And bluegill got more than curious, too.

The venerable coachman and its variations continue to fool poor slimy finned denizens of the deep.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#6 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

I love it Matt. We tie them big here for salmon and seatrout. And I mean big. They look like hummingbirds when you throw them out. I actually like the furnace on smaller trout versions and a nice brown almost ginger on the big salmon ones. Great work.

Stephen

#7 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

one of the favorite dry flies for fishing at last light in the catskill region is a big, #4 or 6 white winged coachman or wulff...the bigger the better